English Inn Visits
The American Inns of Court has reciprocal visitation agreements with the four Inns of Court in London, England. Members of the American Inns of Court, with a letter of introduction from the national office, can visit, tour, and dine at any of the London Inns. Our visitation agreements are reciprocal and English barristers visiting the United States may attend American Inns of Court meetings.
The relationship between the American and English Inns of Court was established in 1988 with a Declaration of Friendship, signed by Chief Justice of the United States Warren E. Burger and The Right Honourable The Lord Bridge of Harwich. This declaration opened the door to other programs such as the Pegasus Scholarship Trust and the Temple Bar Scholarships.
Reciprocal Inn Visitation Partners
Acquiring a Letter of Introduction
- American Inns of Court members who wish to visit the English Inns must contact the national office to request a letter of introduction that will officially introduce them to the English Inns.
- Letters are available only to members of the American Inns of Court and do not guarantee admittance to the Inns.
- Contact information for the Inns will be provided in a confirmation with the letter of introduction.
- It is the member's responsibility to contact the Inns to arrange appointments.
To obtain a letter of introduction, please send an e-mail request and provide the following information:
- Travel dates
- American Inn of Court affiliation
- Leadership role in your Inn (if any)
- Brief bio
- Names of guests traveling with you (if any)
- Contact information
In general, the Inns function according to their respective legal calendars with some variations in schedule. Dining terms vary and are available from each individual Inn. The English Legal Terms for 2019–2020 are as follows:
- Michaelmas: October 1–December 20, 2019
- Hilary: January 13–April 8, 2020
- Easter: April 21–May 22, 2020
- Trinity: June 2–July 31, 2020
- Michaelmas: October 5–December 21, 2020
Inns of Court Visitation Guidelines
- Review calendars and holiday observances prior to requesting a letter of introduction.
- Submit your request for a letter of introduction at least 2–3 weeks prior to your travels.
- Be courteous and accommodating when scheduling an appointment.
- Follow through on any appointments you make with the Inns.
- Contact the Inn as soon as possible if you are unable to keep your appointments.
- Please keep numbers small if visiting the Inns in groups.
- Come dressed in business attire and prepared to pay for your meal.
- Visitation does not include special events and educational activities.