Celebration of Excellence
The American Inns of Court Celebration of Excellence is held annually at the Supreme Court of the United States to honor individuals who have contributed their talent, time, energy, and resources to furthering the ideals of the American Inns of Court. The black-tie event begins with a reception, followed by the awards presentation in the Court Room and dinner in the Great Hall.
The Honorable Elena Kagan will host our 2017 Celebration of Excellence at the Supreme Court of the United States on Saturday, October 21, 2017.
The A. Sherman Christensen Award, the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Award for Professionalism and Ethics, the Sandra Day O'Connor Award for Professional Service and the Warren E. Burger Prize will be presented. The 2017 Professionalism Awards recipients will be recognized as well.
- General registration will open on September 5, 2017 for any available seats. We welcome waiting list registrations starting August 15, 2017.
- Please do not make any travel arrangements until you receive an e-mail confirming that your registration has been approved and processed.
- We wish we could accommodate all of our members at the Celebration of Excellence, but space restrictions at the Supreme Court make this impossible!
- Full refunds will be issued for written cancellations received by October 6, 2017.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after October 7, 2017.
- A block of rooms at the Washington Court Hotel has been reserved for guests attending the Celebration of Excellence.
- The special room rate for attendees is $169/night.
- Your attendance at the Celebration of Excellence must be confirmed before you can reserve a room at the special rate.
- Transportation will not be provided to the Supreme Court before the event.
- Transportation following the event, however, will be provided from the front of the Supreme Court building to the Washington Court Hotel.
- You do not have to be staying at the Washington Court Hotel to utilize the bus transportation.
- It is a short cab ride from the Washington Court Hotel to the Supreme Court of the United States.
- If you are driving to the Supreme Court, please note that parking is not available at the Court.
- Street parking is available in the area near the Court, but please be advised that many of the streets immediately adjacent to the Court do not permit parking.
- Proper attire for the evening is black tie "preferred."
- Most gentlemen will be wearing tuxedos.
- Most ladies will be wearing cocktail dresses or evening gowns.
- Cameras are NOT permitted in the building.
- Cell phones are permitted. We respectfully request no photography and that all electronic devices be turned off at this event.
- There will be a professional photographer taking pictures of the event.
- Photographs taken during the event will be available for purchase directly from the photographer, Kevin Kennedy, through his website. Questions regarding purchase of photographs should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please let us know if you will be attending in a wheelchair.
- If you have special dietary or other needs, please let us know as early as possible so that we can make your evening as enjoyable as possible.
- The reception and dinner will be held at the Supreme Court of the United States. The address is One First Street NE, Washington, DC 20543.
- You may enter the building through the First Street visitor's entrance. This entrance is located to the right and left of the front main steps.
- The reception will be in the East and West Conference Rooms and the awards presentation in the Courtroom followed by dinner in the Great Hall and West Conference Room.
If you have any questions, please contact Cindy Dennis.