The Pegasus Scholarship Trust is an exchange program, wherein young American Inn of Court members visit London for six weeks to learn about the English legal system and young English barristers visit the United States for six weeks to learn about our legal system.
American Attorneys in the United Kingdom
All members of the American Inns of Court who are in their first five years of practice are encouraged to apply. The deadline to apply for a 2018 scholarship is October 16, 2017. Please see the 2018 Pegasus Scholarship Brochure and Application for more information. (Please check back for link to 2018 brochure).
|Scholars can observe proceedings of:
||Scholars have also:
- Barristers' trials and arguments
- The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
- The Privy Council
- The Old Bailey
- The Royal Courts of Justice
- Magistrate's Courts
- Dined at the Inner Temple
- Dined at the Middle Temple
- Dined at Lincoln's Inn
- Dined at Gray's Inn
- Observed classes at the School of Law
- Toured Courts in Scotland and Northern Ireland
English Barristers in the United States
- English barristers spend six weeks in the United States.
- They are placed with a host American Inn of Court and the host Inn plans the scholars' educational activities for the six week stay.
- The goal is to provide a broad but thorough exposure to the American legal system.
- The lodging expenses, as well as a modest stipend are paid by the Pegasus Scholarship Trust.
The Pegasus Scholarship Experience
"As a Pegasus Scholar, I got a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to immerse myself in another country's legal system, which helped me understand how prioritization of different values changes what goes on in a courtroom. I walked away with a stronger appreciation for the English traditions that shaped the American system, and for the ways the American system is unique in the world.
I was surprised how much I bonded with the barristers I was working with. Even though we are trained in different traditions, we understood each other on a level that nonlawyers can't understand. I found that the pride of being an attorney and working for justice was universal."
—Megan Beesley, 2016 American Inns of Court Pegasus Scholar
Pegasus Scholarship Applications
- Applications are due by October 16, 2017.
- Electronic submissions are welcome and should be e-mailed to Cindy Dennis.
- Applications submitted by mail should be addressed to:
American Inns of Court
Attn: Cindy Dennis
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 770
Alexandria, Virginia 22314