Sample Job Description—Secretary-Treasurer
- The Secretary-Treasurer conducts or oversees much of the administrative work of the Inn, thereby providing a level of organizational stability necessary to continue operations.
- Keeps the membership rolls, gathering necessary information from new and returning members.
- Keeps attendance records for each meeting and brings attendance problems to the attention of the Membership Committee Chair.
- Conducts the annual election of officers according to the procedures set forth in the Inn bylaws.
- Submits leadership and member information to the American Inns of Court Foundation.
- Bills and collects member dues according to the schedule set forth by the Executive Committee.
- Manages the Inn finances and bank accounts, reporting on the Inn's financial status to the Executive Committee at each meeting.
- Deposits all monies collected, and pays all debts incurred, by the Inn.
- Prepares annual budget for approval by Executive Committee.
- Supervises the Inn Administrator.
- Must be a Barrister or Master of the Bench and must maintain an active status with the Inn throughout his or her term.
- Must have been continuously active with the Inn for a minimum of two years before beginning his or her term.
- High level of organizational skills and an ability to work effectively with numerous other people on specific tasks.
- Prior experience in basic bookkeeping, budgeting and financial reporting.
- The term of this position is two years, commencing on July 1 following the elections.
- A person may serve two consecutive terms, however, a second term requires reelection according to the procedures set forth in the Inn bylaws.
Responsible To/Responsible For
- Meet with outgoing Secretary-Treasurer to review the procedures, financial accounts and membership rolls.
- Review the Inn's self-evaluation to determine previous successes or challenges encountered in the position.
- Attend an American Inns of Court Leadership Summit, the cost of which is paid by the Inn.
- The Secretary-Treasurer is a member of the Executive Committee and, therefore, reports to the Inn President.
- The Secretary-Treasurer supervises the work of the Inn Administrator.